Thursday, June 9, 2011

bad mom award

Yesterday at the park a woman says with an extremely concerned expression, "This baby is all alone.  And he has rocks in his mouth!"  She is speaking loudly to her friend as she stands protectively over a one year old in the sand.  That one year old has fire red hair and a taste for mischief.  That one year old is Lukey of course.

I am watching him from over here lady, and he doesn't swallow the rocks, he just likes to suck on them.  Although I cannot say the same about the handfuls of sand he keeps shoving in there and gulping down.
I run quickly over, scoop him up and run back to Russell, careful not to glance at her. 

At least it gave me something to chuckle over for the rest of the day.

5 comments:

JGEM said...

Last week at the park Grant got up really high and was pretty much hanging off of a pole. I was watching him. But the parents who like to hang out on the jungle jim always think that I've abandoned the poor thing. I don't think you're a bad mom. You just actually let your kids play.

Lisa C said...

Ruth dropped the ice cream off her cone last night onto the outdoor patio at the ice cream place. We just picked it up and stuck it back on her cone, figuring she sees much worse daily. Definitely got some looks on that one.

Brittany said...

Haha! Some moms "hover" and some moms let kids be curious and we watch from a distance. This week at the park I sat and watched Eileen suck on mulch. Just last night I let Maggie eat off of the mall floor! Haha! It's good for them! Bekah, you are just my style!

melimba said...

I love your description, "That one year old has fire red hair and a taste for mischief."
You kill me, Miss Bekah. You should write a book or something. I'd totally read it. :)

BrittWilk said...

i love that little sand eater. and his bad mom. ha.

totally same experience with van on the jungle gym like every time we're at the park... since he was 6 months old....

and you should definitely write a book.

and i need to call you back...